The very first triathlon event to take place in the UK was held at the Kirtons Farm Water Sports Centre back in 1983. The venue has now become the Tri2O Swim Centre, based adjacent to the Reading Lake Hotel.
Tri2O Triathlon Club took over the organisation of the event in 2017. We received lots of fantastic and constructive feedback from participants, marshals and British Triathlon, all of which has helped us to make some tweaks and continue to provide an even better athlete and spectator experience year on year. Thanks must go to all of our previous competitors who shared their thoughts and ideas with us – it really helps us to plan our future events.
The race itself takes in an open water swim in the lovely waters of the Tri2O lake, followed by a stunning cycle course around the local lanes of Burghfield, Mortimer and Grazeley, before finishing off with a run around the lakeside trail. Look out for our 110% cycle & run sections! See the Course info page for more detailed information including course maps.
There are two race distance options,
Sprint: 750m swim, 22km cycle, 5.4km run
The sprint is also available as a relay race
Olympic: 1500m, 44km cycle, 10.8km run
The Reading Triathlon is a British Triathlon sanctioned event, which means that it has met required standards to give you peace of mind that:
- The event has the appropriate insurances in place.
- The organiser is taking appropriate measures to ensure your safety.
- The event is run in accordance with British Triathlon Competition Rules.
- The organiser is committed to supporting the wider development of the sport.
- If you have a problem at a permitted event, British Triathlon will endeavour to help you reach a satisfactory conclusion with the organiser.
Most importantly however, this means that you can be sure of a safe, fair and enjoyable race experience.
For further information about the process of event permitting, see the British Triathlon website here